Supergirl Costume (pt3, ‘S’ Applique and muslin making)


Muslin making…. well… there’s a first time for everything.
I never usually bother, but since I’m making this from scratch I feel it may be beneficial…

LUCKILY (sorta) I bought some fabric online for the supergirl outfit and it turned out to be completely the wrong colour! BOO! But it was stretchy, making it the perfect muslin fabric for the top (YEYY). I had to make the ‘S’ as part of the muslin because I wasn’t confident about the effect the applique would have on the overall fit of the top.

Lets start with the Applique. .. . because I did the Applique before I constructed the garment…. it feels sensible.
INTERFACING ON EVERYHTING! I’m applique-ing a stretchy fabric onto a stretchy fabric here.. DANGER! So essentially I’ve got 3 pieces to start with I’ve got the front bodice, the backround the the ‘S’ (in this case some shiny black fabric) which is the diamond shape of the ‘s trimmed about hal an inch all round to make sure it doesn’t show on the edges, and the ‘S'(+diamond border) itself.. I need to interface the wrong side of the front of the T’shirt, interface the black diamond and interface the red diamond… I interfaced BEFORE I cut out the shapes. I cut out the shapes with the dressmaking shears rather than the stanley knife… it was fiddly… it was worth it

I basted the pieces together because the red – although it was interfaced- was insisting on stretching and shifting under the pins.

zigzag stitch, buttonhole length and A LOT OF PATIENCE later…

some stitches are neater than others, but, WHO CARES?! it’s a MUSLIN! yeyyyeyyy!!! it’ll be less noticable on the real thing because I’ll be stitching red on red 🙂 it’s all good!

So! I stitched that to my interfaced bodice:

 and then constucted the bodice, ((1)shoulder seams, (2)sleeve/shoulder seam, (3) sew all the way from cuff of sleeve to hem of bodice, all in one)
and this is what I got:

there we go, not right, but not insanely wrong… I need to do something about the armpit area, the sleeves are too tight and too short (I goddam hate sleeves) I need to do something about the sagging near the neckline… for more an armpit dysfunction see here:

anyhow, thats a lot of work foor one day, I’m just going to make slight fitting alterations, redraft the sleeves and get back to you tomorrow!

G x

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *